Welcome to The Multivitamin World
You have all heard of the word multivitamin. It is a word that we use from time to time to refer to various supplements and other things. A multivitamin is a compound intended to be a dietary supplement made of vitamins, dietary minerals, and other nutritional elements. Multivitamin preparations are mainly found in form of tablets, capsules, powders, injectable formulations and pastilles. Injectable formulations are only found and administered under medical supervision. All other multivitamins are categorised by the Codex Alimentarius Commission as food.
Multivitamin supplements are mostly provided in combination with dietary minerals. A multivitamin/ mineral supplement is defined as a supplement containing 3 or more vitamins and minerals but not including herbs, hormones or drugs.
Most of the multivitamins are divided into age brackets and gender so as to ensure you get the most essential vitamins and minerals required by your body.
Best multivitamins for men
If you eat a healthy and balanced diet, you should be able to get most of the nutrients, right? The answer is yes, most but not all. That means there is still room for improvement as we aim to have all the necessary nutrients in our bodies. This is where we bring in the supplements.
For us to determine the best multivitamins for men, we must first understand the nutritional supplementation needs that are unique to men. The following vitamins are essentials in multivitamins for men;-
- Vitamin A – we all know of lung cancer with some of us being infected or affected directly by the disease. Men have a 28% higher risk of getting this killer disease. One of the dangers of insufficient Vitamin A is that you are more likely to develop lung cancer. It is therefore advisable for men to take supplements containing vitamin A as a preventive measure.
- the vitamin is also vital in good eyesight and strong night vision
- Vitamin C – most men want to work out to increase bone health. This vitamin is not only useful for oxidation but also in ensuring healthy muscles, bones, skin, gums, tendons, ligaments and cell membranes.
- Vitamin C – has also been clinically proven to provide protection against cardiovascular disease.
- Vitamin K – the most important role of this vitamin is to initiate the clotting process which prevents/ reduces excessive blood loss in the event of an injury. Vitamin K also signals a protein that facilitates the rebuilding of bones.
- It has also been known to prevent fractures and some cancers and is also vital in maintaining vascular health as it aids in prevention of calcium accumulation along blood vessel walls
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – men require a lot of calories. Vitamin B1 plays a direct role in the transformation of food into energy with its primary role being that of converting carbohydrates into sugar.
- Research shows that thiamine helps in preventing cataracts, diabetes, and congestive heart failure among others.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – it is a vital component of energy production. It speeds metabolism and is required for a number of cell processes. Since it aids in blood movements, vitamin B2 is essential for men experiencing a growth period or who consume large quantities of proteins to build muscles.
- It is also beneficial to men suffering from migraines or tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Strenuous exercises often lead to quick depletion of the vitamin so it is important for men to supply their bodies with it regularly.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – low cholesterol levels is something we all aim to attain. This is because it translates to less chances of suffering a stroke, heart attack or cardiovascular disease. Good news is that the primary role of niacin is to lower blood cholesterol.
- It also decreases the chances of skin infections since its essential for healthy skin, eyes and liver.
- Vitamin B12 – It is essential for normal nerve activities. Its deficiency can lead to anaemia. It is also part of the B-complex group of vitamins which are important for metabolism and energy.
- Chromium – works to enhance the work of insulin which is to regulate blood sugar and changing of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. It also helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and is useful in treatment of Type II diabetes. Active men more often than not will find themselves in need of supplements with this mineral as strenuous exercises leads to quick depletion of the mineral
- Fluoride – we often associate fluoride with prevention of tooth decay only, what we don’t know is that it strengthens our bones by increasing their density. With men having larger bones, it is only wise for them to take increased volumes of fluorine
- Magnesium – it is needed for manufacturing enzymes that control most processes in the human body. With men having a lot of iron stored in their bodies which hinders absorption of magnesium, it makes it essential for them to introduce multivitamin supplements to their bodies.
- Zinc – zinc is well known for supporting optimum immune system. It is however very critical in prostrate health and regulation of testosterone levels. Since it plays such a vital role in men’s sexuality it only makes sense to introduce it into their bodies through multivitamins
A multivitamin that contains any or some of these vital vitamins and minerals will definitely make it to the mark of best multivitamins for men
Best Multivitamins For Women
Multivitamins are an essential part of our lives, and I literally mean essential. They help us to continually indulge in our daily activities with ease. That is why I decide to make sure you get the good stuff. One that will be optimally used for the good of your body health.I am going to cover the most essential vitamins and minerals which are a must have for the health of a female body, you can always thank me later …here we go;-
- Vitamin A – talk of a do it all, from boosting immune system, to improving vision, reducing the risk of heart diseases and slowing skin aging this is definitely a must have for every woman. Just make sure you stick to the right dosage and you are good to go.
- B vitamins – the whole spectrum of the 8 B vitamins is a whole armour. It helps maintain metabolism, muscle tone and a sharp mind. Most important for young women is B9 which keeps red blood cells healthy and prevents cancers and birth defects. If you are pregnant or intend to get pregnant you are definitely looking for a multivitamin supplement with the B vitamins. Let’s keep that baby bump healthy.
- Vitamin C – The antioxidant boosts immune systems, prevents heart diseases, prenatal complications and eye illnesses. What every woman wants to hear; it fends of WRINKLES!!!!! It is also known to makes wounds heal faster. I am definitely looking for a multivitamin that will fend of wrinkles, want to come with me?
- Vitamin D – want some good news? You now have a chance of reducing breast cancer and at the same time be protected from ovarian cancer and diabetes. The vitamin also aids in calcium absorption and plays a major role in muscle function. You definitely need a multivitamin with this vitamin as a supplement.
- Calcium – I feel like screaming this out loud; STRONG BONES, women start losing their bone density in their twenties. This means women will definitely need a multivitamin to compensate their bone density. Make sure you read calcium on the label. Calcium will also ensure you have strong teeth and nourished nervous system
- Iron – women lose a lot of iron every month due to the menstruation period. The loss is even worse if you have heavy periods. You definitely need to keep the iron levels at a sufficient level and a multivitamin will do you good.
As a woman, you now know what you are looking for in your multivitamins. I don’t want you to miss out on any of these essential and vital vitamins and minerals.
What do we consider as a best multivitamin?
We now know that multivitamins are essential for all age groups and genders. So we clearly need a benchmark to help us know what we are buying and why. A daily multivitamin will ensure efficiency and ease in all your daily functions. You cannot however attain this efficiency is you just take any multivitamin, no, you have to ensure it is the best multivitamin
Shopping for a multivitamin is one of the mind-bending tasks today, but not anymore. Here are some of the guidelines to ensure you only get the best multivitamin;-
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive should ensure they take a multivitamin that is specifically formulated as a prenatal or postnatal multivitamin.
- People on restricted diets or those trying to cut weight should look for multivitamins that consists most of the vital vitamins and minerals
- People with a condition that depletes a certain mineral/ vitamin should look for a multivitamin that has high concentration of the depleting mineral/ vitamin for example women with heavy periods should look for a multivitamin with high concentration of iron.
- Avoid mega dose, try to avoid a multivitamin that has more than 100% of the Food and Drug Administration’s Daily value of essential vitamins and minerals unless it’s a vitamin D supplement
- A multivitamin that is geared to your age bracket and gender would be a safe bet as the multivitamin is likely to have most of the essentials that your body requires
- It would also be safer to avoid multivitamins with special claims and add-ons
THE MULTIVITAMIN WORLD IS A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE OF THE GOODNESS THAT A HEALTHY BODY BRINGS ALONG. I OFFICIALLY WELCOME YOU TO THE MULTIVITAMIN SPECTRUM SO YOU CAN ALSO SHARE IN THE GOODNESS. AND YES, YOU ARE WELCOME.