Low Fat, High Carbohydrate Diet Plan
This diet plan is not so much a “diet” as a healthy eating plan. It’s aim is to provide a balanced diet for slow, steady weight loss (i.e. fat loss, not muscle or water loss) not fast weight loss that is regained as soon as the diet ends.
Long term weight control
It teaches new eating habits that help you to lose weight, improve your health and control your weight in the long term. But like any healthy weight loss plan, this diet should be combined with a realistic program of regular exercise.
In brief: the diet is low in fat, high in fruits /vegetables and moderate in protein and starchy carbs.
Healthy weight loss
It is the only type of weight loss diet plan that is consistent with guidelines issued by the World Health Organization (WHO), US and UK Government agencies and the American Heart Association, for good health and healthy weight loss.
Why is the diet low in fat?
- The diet is low fat because high-fat intake is implicated in obesity, heart disease and several cancers.
- Fat also contains more than twice the calories of other foods and is 7 times more easily converted to body fat than carbohydrates, making weight loss and weight management more difficult.
- The diet does recommend regular consumption of essential fatty acids, (EFAs) like omega 3s and omega 6s, available from oily fish and some unprocessed vegetable oils.
The Low Fat Diet Plan advises:
- Low consumption of high fat foods and fatty junk foods.
- High consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Regular consumption of starchy/complex carbohydrates, like potatoes, rice, pasta, beans/pulses.
- Moderate consumption of protein, especially high fat animal protein.
- The importance of wholegrain and wholewheat foods: like, wholemeal bread, oats, brown rice.
- Very low consumption of refined sugars and highly processed foods.
- Water as the healthiest drink.
A sensible balanced diet that assists weight loss, improves long term weight control and helps maintain good health. In conjunction with a regular exercise plan, this weight loss diet offers a good chance of lasting weight control – an opinion backed up by data from the US Weight Control Registry.