Jenny Craig™ Weight Loss Program
Jenny Craig Inc.
According to the official company web site:
- Jenny Craig, Inc. is one of the largest weight management service companies in the world.
- Jenny Craig offers a proven, comprehensive program that, through sound nutrition and simple activity, helps clients achieve the balance necessary for optimal weight loss and personal well-being.
- The Jenny Craig Weight Management Program is delivered through a chain of approximately 660 Company-owned and franchised locations in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico.
- Jenny Craig also provides weight loss manuals and other diet materials, plus, by joining the Jenny Direct Community you can find a weight loss buddy via the company’s online bulletin boards.
Jenny Craig Weight Management Program
This is available in one of two ways:
- By attending a Jenny Craig Center
This option involves personal, one-on-one consultations at Jenny Craig Centers. You are assigned a trained weight loss consultant to help you plan nutritionally balanced diet menus. The diet foods are purchased from Jenny Craig. There are Jenny Craig locations throughout the country.
- By joining the Jenny Craig Direct At-Home Program
This allows you to participate in the Jenny Craig Program from the convenience of your own home. You enjoy weekly “phone-meetings” with your trained Consultant, and order your food in at least two-week increments.Weekly support consultations are done over the phone, toll-free and Jenny Craig menus and support materials are delivered to your door.
- Calories and Weight Loss
The calorie-level of your menu plan will vary according to your need. The lowest calorie level is 1200 calories per day. The Jenny Craig Program has been designed to result in a weekly weight loss of 1-2 pounds or 1% of your body weight.
- Menu Plans
All menu plans that are nutritionally balanced according to the recommendations of the USDA Food Guide Pyramid and U.S. Dietary Guidelines. Clients can choose from more than 70 food products. Each is manufactured to the specification of our dieticians, approved by our Medical Advisory Panel, and purchased through Jenny Craig Centers and Jenny Direct.
- Diet Foods
All diet foods are shipped via UPS, which typically takes 5-7 business days to arrive at your home. You can also opt to receive your foods quicker via FedEx (1-2 day delivery time) for a small surcharge.
- Weight Maintenance
Support for weight maintenance is available under certain condition.
Drawbacks of the Jenny Craig Weight Management Program
All weight loss programs have drawbacks. Jenny Craig is no exception.
- Too Much Control for Comfort?
The Jenny Craig Program is based on the consumption of pre-packaged meals. This is very convenient to begin with but this close dietary supervision can cause problems once the diet ends. The dieter may not be ready to “go it alone.” To put it another way, short-term weight loss goals take priority over the need to learn new eating habits.
- Too Expensive?
The Jenny Craig Program requires you to purchase Jenny Craig food products, which are more expensive than the pre-packaged meals in a standard food store. Phase One of the program requires you to purchase a set number of meals which can cost up to $400. The issue of costs is not helped by the Jenny Craig web site, which appears to offer almost no hard information on costs.
Jenny Craig is a major weight loss organization with a proven track record of helping dieters to lose weight. It’s weight loss program seems good.