Eating Disorders Help and Online Support Resources for Treatment of Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Eating Disorders Are Serious Conditions
Eating disorders are serious conditions. If you know someone with Anorexia, Bulima or Binge Eating, or if you think one of your loved ones is becoming anorexic, bulimic or a binge-eater, it is very important to seek advice from an expert, as soon as possible. Early treatment can save the life of someone with an eating disorder.
Helping an Anorexic, Bulimic or Binge Eater May Not be Easy
Teachers, doctors, friends or family members all have a role in detecting an eating disorder and encouraging the sufferer to enter a treatment program. However, the main burden of helping the anorexic, bulimic or binge-eater falls on the family, so it is important for family members to seek information about the signs and dangers of eating disorders, in order to understand more about the eating disorder in question and to help convince the sufferer to accept help.
Help for Eating Disorders
Family members and friends can call local hospitals or university medical centers to find out about eating disorder clinics. College students can check their campus counseling centers for information about eating-disorders and treatment programs. Free literature and online information about most eating disorders, including Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating is available from the sources listed below. Some sources also provide eating-disorder treatment program referrals and information on local self-help groups.
Treatment for Eating Disorders Takes Time
Persuading the sufferer to accept help is one thing. Persuading them to stick with their eating-disorder treatment program is quite another. So be prepared to offer encouragement and support over a period of time.
Information about Eating Disorders
For information on eating disorders, check local hospitals or medical centers for an eating disorders clinic, or contact:
American Anorexia Bulimia Association, Inc. (AABA)
165 West 46th Street, Suite 1108
New York, NY 10036
Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc. (ANRED)
P.O. Box 5102
Eugene, OR 97405
Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia
1 West 91st Street
New York, NY 10024
Eating Disorder Awareness & Prevention Inc.
603 Stewart Street, Suite 803
Seattle, WA 98101
Information Resources and Inquiries Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7C-02
Rockville, MD 20857
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD)
P.O. Box 7
Highland Park, IL 60035
National Eating Disorder Organization
445 East Grandille Road
Worthington, OH 43085
For Online Information about Eating Disorders Please click these links:
Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc.
Information on anorexia, bulimia and binge eating.
UK Eating Disorders Association
Telephone help line for people with an eating disorder.
The UK International Eating Disorders Centre
UK Centre for eating disorders.
- Aedweb.org – Academy promoting better treatment for eating disorders
- Aplaceofhope.com – Centre for the treatment of eating disorders
- Awakeningcenter.net – Eating Disorders Treatment Services
- Bodypositive.com – Shows you how to love the body you have
- Caringonline.com – Includes resources on binge eating and nutrition
- Canopycove.com – Natural therapy for women with eating problems
- Edrecovery.com – Online recovery treatment for eating disorders
- Efturk.com – Accepting your body through the use of photography
- Findinfo.com – Useful links for information on anorexia
- Growthgroups.com – Comprehensive website on all aspects of eating problems
- Innersolutions.net – Forum for discussing food and weight issues
- Largelypositive.com – Promotes health and self-esteem for people of all shapes and sizes
- Lfed.org – Foundation for families of eating disorder victims
- Mental-health-matters.com – Mental Health & Self Help Information and Resources
- Nationaleatingdisorders.org – Information on eating disorders and body image concerns
- Nutramed.com – Food, addiction and eating disorder facts
- Overeatersanonymous.org – Offers recovery program for over eaters
- Pale-reflections.com – Weekly ezine on compulsive over eating
- Renfrew.org – Organization for advancing eating disorders education
- Suite101.com – Links and articles on eating disorders
- Whatareyouhungryfor.com – Women’s group for combating the early stages of food struggles
- Voicesnotbodies.tripod.com – Organization dedicated to eating disorders awareness