Weight loss after pregnancy can be slow and many new moms find it difficult to stick to a diet after having a baby. Babies do not understand your desire to lose weight and regain your figure! So regular meals can be difficult!
However, please avoid the temptation to fast or ‘starve’ yourself into regaining your pre-pregnancy shape. Hollywood celebrities may be able to do this, but you can’t. Your body needs plenty of nutrient-dense foods.
- Stock up with healthy, filling, convenient snacks, like soups, low-fat pasta sauces, lean meats for sandwiches, wholemeal bread and cereals, fresh and frozen vegetables and fat-free dairy products.
- Share the preparation of food with your partner.
- Try not to be tempted by empty-calorie-foods like ice-cream, popcorn and other highly processed snacks.
- Talk to your doctor about a gentle return to physical exercise.
- Do not fret about weight loss or regaining your figure. If you focus on eating healthily, your body will respond by losing any excess weight.
Note: I have several new mothers coming to see me and nearly all are back to their original weight. Being a mother is no reason to stay fat. It’s just another excuse for doing nothing.
For more advice about weight loss after pregnancy, see:Postpartum Weight Loss